Edenderry Power Plant
Edenderry Power Plant has an installed capacity of up to 244MW of electricity and supplies about 2.5% of Ireland’s national requirement.
Originally developed as a peat-fired power plant, Edenderry Power Plant is now co-fired with a mixture of peat and carbon neutral biomass. The use of biomass as a co-fuel commenced in 2008, and has increased steadily year-on-year. As part of its energy policy, the Irish government has set a 30% biomass co-firing target for all of the peat-fired stations by 2015. This target will require the displacement of around 300,000 energy tonnes (ET) of peat at the Edenderry plant, and the station is well on line to meet this goal.
|Biomass Biomass CO2 Redn. RES-E|
|Year (ET) (PJ) (t CO2) (MWh)|
|2008 19,127 0.15 16,951 15,235|
|2009 66,662 0.51 59,126 51,871|
|2010 110,808 0.85 93,229 84,390|
|2011 146,779 1.13 126,525 112,374|
|2012 197,200 1.52 169,781 147,642|
|2013 255,737 1.97 220,290 193,826|
The power station utilises modern Fluidised Bed Boiler and open cycle gas turbine technology to enable a highly efficient rate of energy conversion in our processes.
The plant operates to strict Quality, Environmental, Health and Safety standards and are certified to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and OHSAS 18001 Quality, Environmental and Health & Safety standards as part of one integrated system. We added ISO 17025 for our on site laboratory facilities in 2006 and added ISO 50001 for Energy Management in 2010. These standards are maintained and developed to support Edenderry’s business management systems.
The station is located outside the town of Edenderry close to the village of Clonbullogue, 60km west of Dublin near the heart of Ireland’s peat producing midlands region. It employs 50 people directly and a further 250 indirectly through suppliers and services provided to the plant.
To contact Edenderry Power Plant click here.
Plant Descriptions and Operations
The main plant data are as follows: Boiler
- Bubbling Fluidised Bed Boiler (Kvaerner Pulping Oy) three stage HP Superheater
- Two radial type Flue Gas (I.D.) Fans, capacity 2*60%
- Fluidising Gas Nozzles
- Rotary regenerative type flue gas Air Preheater
- C. 180 tonnes fluidised bed sand
- Normal bed temperature 910 degrees C
- Electrostatic Precipitator for Dust Removal
- SO2 Abatement system
Two cylinder, triple pressure condensing machine operating at 3,000RPM
Forced Draft Cooling Towers (seven)
One million tonnes Biomass/year
120MW/c. 980GWh per year
Water 220m3/hour abstracted from river Figile at Clonbullogue
Strict IPPC licence from EPA
c. 32,000 tonnes/year to licensed landfill
The plant is scheduled to operate 24*7 and is manned at all times. It completes one major outage on an annual basis and two further minor shutdowns principally for boiler cleaning in order to maintain optimum plant efficiency.
To be a Leader in Renewable Energy Solutions to the Irish Energy Market. To be a Leader in promoting a Culture of Health & Safety and Environmental excellence in the Energy Sector.
Integrated Business Management System
Edenderry Power’s Quality system is administered and controlled in one Integrated Business Management System. This system incorporates the requirements of ISO 9001 Quality, ISO 14001 Environmental, ISO 50001 for Energy Management and OHSAS 18001 Health & Safety standards.
Edenderry Power Plant operates to strict Environmental limits and standards. As well as operating under licence from the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), Edenderry Power has installed and operates an Environmental Management System which meets the requirements of its IPPC Licence, and is also certified to ISO 14001 Standard.
- Maximise availability and efficiency of the power plant.
- Minimise the incidence, severity and duration of forced outages.
- Prevent premature deterioration of the power plant.
- Comply with applicable legal, environmental, health and safety requirements.
Edenderry Power is committed to a policy of continual improvement of the power plants it operates and maintains, and places a significant emphasis on its environmental responsibilities, as indicated in it’s Environmental Policy Statement.
Environmental policy statement
In Operating and Maintaining Edenderry Power Plant we are conscious of the effects of our activities on the environment and will:
- Meet and where possible exceed, the requirements of all applicable legislation and regulations establish objectives, against which targets are set for the implementation of this policy continually improve our environmental performance.
- Implement measures to prevent pollution.
- Optimise the consumption of energy and minimise waste.
- Work with contractors and suppliers to improve their environmental performance.
- Provide the necessary training and support to employees to ensure these commitments are fulfilled.
- Ensure adequate resources are allocated for the implementation of the policy.
Health & Safety
Edenderry Power Ltd. operates a comprehensive Health & Safety Management System, which is certified to ISO 18001 Standard, in order to ensure the health & safety of all its employees and visitors to our site. The corner stone of the system is our detailed Safety Statement, which details actions and responsibilities in the area of Health & Safety Management, and outlines our Health & Safety Policy.
Health & Safety policy
It is the policy of Edenderry Power Ltd, through the implementation of its safety statement, in consultation with its employees and in seeking their co-operation, to secure a workplace that it is safe, so far as is reasonably practicable. It is policy to comply, as a minimum, with all-statutory requirements and common law duties relating to our activities. It is policy to protect, so far as is reasonably practicable, persons not employed by this company who may be affected by our activities.
- A safe place of work.
- Safe systems of work.
- Safe plant and machinery.
- Safe means of access and egress.
- Provision of appropriate information, instructions, training and supervision.
- Provision of suitable protective clothing and equipment where hazards cannot be eliminated.
- Preparation and revision of emergency plans.
- Prevention to risks from health from any article or substance.
Obtaining the services of a competent person to prepare this safety statement.
Procedures are established and maintained for the ongoing identification of hazards, the assessment of risks, and the implementation of necessary control measures. The company ensures that the control measures specified are carried out.
Health & Safety policy objectives
- Aim for zero Reportable Accidents.
- Consistent and recognisable Environmental Health and Safety arrangements.
- Be Leaders in Environmental, Health & Safety Management.
- Continuously improve our safety operating performance.
To contact Edenderry Power Plant click here.