Land & Habitats
Open to Public Appointment
Our Land & Habitats Business Unit currently has a need for a GIS Specialist on a two-year fixed term basis. The role will be based in Boora and will report to the Survey and GIS Team Lead. The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering efficient and cost effective professional GIS, mapping and survey services for operations, projects and business development to Bord na Mona Land & Habitats Business Unit and functions to ensure the availability of accurate information to enable high quality decision making and assist cost efficient operations.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Prepare high quality appropriate maps for peatland restoration plans, appropriate assessments, litigation, surface water management analysis, constraint mapping and general mapping requirements for internal use by Bord na Móna Land & Habitats Business Unit.
- Update existing databases using ArcGIS software to provide accurate mapping information relative to Energy Business Units requirements and activities.
- Support Land & Habitats Business Unit in the implementation of bog rehabilitation and restoration plans with regard to the design and construction management of bog rehabilitation works.
- Liaise with all relevant stakeholders to define and achieve survey & GIS service goals.
- Ensure sufficient timely and appropriate information and advice is exchanged with customers and contractors to achieve project delivery.
- Support the Survey & GIS Team Lead in the efficient and cost effective delivery of professional survey programme of work for projects, operations and business development and functions to ensure the availability of accurate information to enable high quality decision making and assist cost efficient operations.
- Analyse and interpret datasets including topographical survey data, LiDAR, UAV data, land ownership data and GPR data to assist BnM Engineering & Legal functions or Operations Management with regard to the cost effective planning and efficient design of projects and operations.
- All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring Health and Safety, and Welfare of co-employees and members of the public using the premises
- Proactively participate in the Performance Management process to ensure delivery of own, and the wider team’s, objectives.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge, and attributes:
- NFQ Level 8 BSc Geomatics, GIS, or similar approved qualification (or working towards same)
- 5 years’ relevant experience in Civil Engineering/Engineering Consultancy/Construction
- Membership of SCSI or RICS would be an advantage
- Highly proficient in the use of GIS and surveying software
- Proficient in digital processing and manipulation of survey data, LiDAR data, UAV data and preparation and presentation of AutoCAD drawings
- Ability to read & understand title issues associated with Land Registry Folios and to research legal title and turbary issues using Land Registry/PRAI, Irish Land Commission, Valuations Office and Bord na Móna resources
- Ability to edit digital boundaries for the purpose of preparing detailed land registry maps to the PRAI digital mapping requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of development and construction methodologies for peatlands, peatland drainage, bog restoration / rehabilitation would be a distinct advantage.
- Full clean driving licence is required for the role
- Excellent communications skills
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite
The selection process for this role will include candidate screening from application.
Visit http://www.bordnamona.ie/careers/application-process-at-bord-na-mona/ for more information.
If you wish to be considered simply click the “Apply” on the job on the hub.
Bord na Móna is an equal opportunities employer.