Health and Safety Officer
RECYCLING Open to Public Competition
Our Recycling Business Unit currently has a need for a Health and Safety Officer on a Permanent Contract. The role will be based in BNM Recycling Nationwide and will report to the Health & Safety Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible to form a critical part of the H&S function supplementing the H&S Manager in the full range of duties. The Co-ordination and support for all activities relating to implementing safety initiatives, accident investigation, site walks, audits, liaising with site supervisors, managing CAPA logs in conjunction with sites, assisting sites on training needs, delivering budget targets for TRIR & RTIs
Job Title: Health and Safety Officer
Business Unit: Recycling
Reporting to: Head and Safety Manager
HR Contact: Carol Young
Apply on or before: 30th of December 2022
Eligibility: Public Competition
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
• Ensure delivery and completion of assigned projects, accident investigations and corrective actions. Support employees across the business in delivering all existing and new H&S programmes and initiatives. Review H&S processes, procedures and documentation ensuring that all documentation is maintained and updated accordingly. Carry out regular H&S checks and have a hands on approach to H&S within the business unit, promoting the importance of H&S at all times.
• Responsible for the co-ordination of Health & Safety requirements and activities for allocated sites. Responsible for developing a strong positive ethos for proactive H&S management with all employees and managers. Communicate any issues or potential risks/breaches to the Health & Safety Manager.
• Manage and conduct regular programme of audits/inspections in line with corporate requirements to evaluate site compliance, identify and implement improvements and support the system for closing out remedial actions. Ensures Site Managers and Supervisors are actively engaged in the audit process and all Health & Safety systems. Ensure audit programme covers the high-risk area’s and locations and includes the auditing of compliance against the contractor management policy and vendor management.
• Work proactively with Stakeholders such as the HAS, EPA. Recruitment agencies, trainers, commercial and domestic customers, RR commercial team the public. Actively contribute and promote BnM H&S Awareness campaigns, programmes and competitions. Maintain regular reporting with Lean Centre H&S.
• Implement action to improve all KPI performances within your area of responsibility. Carry out onsite H&S Inspections, reporting and follow-ups. Interpret and advise on the implementation of H&S Legislation. Develop & maintain H&S training records. Keep abreast of any relevant legislative changes and advise on changes to practices.
• Work towards making Bord Na Mona Recycling best in Class across the waste and recycling industry, changing safety culture across the business and develop a regime where safety comes first in all aspects of operations.
• Proactively participate in the Performance Management process to ensure delivery of own, and the wider team’s, objectives.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge, and attributes.
• Minimum 3 to 5 years experience
• Health & Safety Degree (7/8)
• Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills are a key requirement. A track record of delivery of outstanding business performance and results.
• Career evidence of excellence in Team-Working, Talent Management, Operation Excellence and Personal Integrity
• Good Report Writing Skills / Proficient in MS Office/H&S Software(s)
• Good Written and Verbal English essential.
• Must be flexible to work across different work sections within the business.
• Proficiency in the English language is a requirement alongside eligibility to work in Ireland.
• Experience in the Services/ Manufacturing or Waste Industries a distinct advantage
If you wish to be considered simply click “Apply” on the job advert
Bord na Móna is an equal opportunities employer.