Market and Pricing Analyst
Market and Pricing Analyst
Our Renewable Energy Business Unit currently has a need for a Market and Pricing Analyst on a permanent basis. This role will be based in Newbridge and will report to the Data Analytics Lead. The role within the Data Analytics team will support the development of forecasting and market trends to drive the commercials for the Renewable Energy business. The role involves detailed market analytics and forecasting for the Commercial team including understanding the market drivers, competitor analysis and key influences in energy prices. The successful candidate will develop and maintain detailed electricity market pricing models for both the ISEM and GB to support effective asset operations and investment decisions. A detailed knowledge of the Integrated Single Electricity Market (ISEM) markets is required to provide statistical and analytical expertise in order to enhance strategic trading decisions. To work in association with the short-term trading team, and being a subject matter expert, to analyse the large and complex data sets associated with ISEM – providing technical analysis with insights into market trends and behaviours.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Lead quantitative data analysis for the trading team in order to identify enhanced trading opportunities. Main accountability will be to work with trading team to gather requirements, analyse and interpret complex data sets and make statistically sound recommendations relating to trading in ISEM to ensure that the company requirements for growth and increased profitability are achieved;
- Support the maintenance of data sets, monitoring and auditing data quality. Carry out data validation and work with external vendors as appropriate to ensure that the data set is well maintained. Manipulate and utilise large, complex data sets for ISEM. Analyse and draw out sound inferences that support business problem solving and trading strategy that enhance the trading outcomes;
- Develop and maintain detailed electricity market pricing models for both the ISEM and GB to support effective asset operations and investment decisions;
- Analyse and report on trends and key performance indicators as required by management. Support the wider Bord na Móna Renewables team by identifying areas to increase efficiency in reporting. Engage with external support providers as required to enhance the automation of processes and dashboarding;
- Develop market analysis for the business including analysis of current/future market conditions, market drivers, competitor analysis and understanding of key influences on energy prices for the business. Highlighting risks and opportunities for the business.;
- Work closely with other team members to gain insights and gather requirements as is appropriate to deliver solutions. Ensure a team approach to understanding data content and requirements, and delivering end to end solutions, is maintained;
- Proactively participate in the Performance Management process to ensure delivery of own, and the wider team’s, objectives;
- All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring Health and Safety, and Welfare of co-employees and members of the public using the premises;
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge and attributes:
- Honours Degree (NFQ 8, 2.1 min), in a relevant subject i.e. Statistical/Numerical background;
- Data Analytics, Economics, Mathematics, Finance, Computer Science, Engineering or similar;
- 2-3 year’s experience in Data Analytics / Quant Trader or equivalent role within ISEM including price forecasting;
- Knowledge of ISEM and the analysis of market drivers is essential; Energy market or power system modelling experience is essential;
- Plexos / similar market modelling tools with expert excel skills is essential;
- Strong analytical thinker with excellent statistical and quantitative skills required
- Demonstrable experience of data modelling, managing large data sets and analysing large volumes of data and making statistical inferences required;
- Competency across a broad range of IT packages required, i.e. Advanced MS Excel skills (macros, pivot tables etc), SQL, Python, R studio, AWS;
- Strong communication, reporting and interpersonal skills;
- Strong organisational skills;
- A self-starter who can work on their own initiative;
The selection process for this role will include candidate screening from application.
Visit https://www.bordnaMóna.ie/careers/ for more information.
If you wish to be considered simply click “Apply” on the job advert, on or before 1st March, 2023.
Bord na Móna is an equal opportunities employer.