Commercial Legal Counsel (Energy Business Unit)
Bord na Móna is looking to recruit people who are interested in helping the company progress its decarbonisation strategy and grow its low carbon businesses through the next decade and beyond. The Company employs 2,000 people, has a diverse portfolio of business operations and owns over 80,000 hectares of land across Ireland. Successful candidates will assist the company as it transitions to become a major provider of renewable energy, grow new and existing sustainable businesses and help build a new, low carbon economy across the Midlands of Ireland.
The Business Unit
Our Energy Business Unit currently has a need for a Commercial Counsel on a two-year fixed term contract. Our Energy Business Unit includes our traditional peat based businesses together with the supply of sustainable biomass to power stations and the operation of a portfolio of thermal and renewable assets, generating in excess of 1.2 terawatt hours (TWh) of electricity annually. The business is a key driver of the Group strategy to transition to a sustainable future and, with well over 60% of electricity generated currently classed as carbon neutral, it plays a pivotal role in Bord na Móna becoming a leading generator of renewable energy on the island of Ireland.
This role can be located at the Energy Business Head Office in Boora Co. Offaly or in Bord na Móna headquarters in Newbridge, Co Kildare and will report to the Legal Services Manager (Energy). The role will support the Legal Services Manager in the provision of value adding, efficient and cost effective legal advices and services to the Energy Business Unit.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Work with the Legal Services Manager to manage the legal work-stream of strategic projects in the Energy Business Unit in order to deliver the projects in line with the Business Unit’s objectives;
- Advise the Energy Business Unit on legal issues affecting all aspects of their commercial activities and recommend appropriate courses of action. Take a proactive role in finding solutions to overcome obstacles and in the management and mitigation of risks;
- Draft and review commercial and property related agreements and liaise with external counsel on specialist matters where required. Assess governance requirements and obtain necessary approvals, draft appropriate documents and provide advice on general corporate governance issues;
- Proactively work with the senior management of the Business Unit to deliver relevant, efficient and cost effective legal services on all compliance and regulatory matters for the Energy Business Unit including health and safety, environmental, intellectual property, procurement, planning permission and consumer protection;
- Proactively work with legal colleagues in the New Business and Property Development Business Unit to ensure the delivery of relevant, efficient and cost effective land and property legal services for the Energy Business Unit;
- Proactively work with the senior management of the Business Unit to deliver relevant, efficient and cost effective legal advice on employment and other litigation matters on behalf of the Energy Business Unit;
- Work closely with Lean Centre Legal to ensure common Bord na Móna Legal policies, programmes and initiatives are implemented consistently within the Energy Business Unit. Collaborate and communicate effectively with Legal colleagues in other Business Units to share information and ensure consistency of approach on Legal related matters;
- Be an exemplar in demonstrating Leadership Standards and Behaviours for Success;
- All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring Health and Safety, and Welfare of co-employees and members of the public using the premises.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge and attributes:
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister;
- 4 years’ post qualification experience;
- Experience in commercial contracts, employment and litigation;
- Career evidence of excellence in team-working, personal integrity and operational excellence.
The selection process for this role will include candidate screening from application. Visit http://www.bordnamona.ie/careers/application-process-at-bord-na-mona/ for more information. If you wish to be considered simply click “Apply” on the job advert, on or before January 27th 2019.
Bord na Móna is an equal opportunities employer.