Commercial Legal Counsel (Legal)
Bord na Móna is looking to recruit people who are interested in helping the company progress its decarbonisation strategy and grow its low carbon businesses through the next decade and beyond. The Company employs 2,000 people, has a diverse portfolio of business operations and owns over 80,000 hectares of land across Ireland. Successful candidates will assist the company as it transitions to become a major provider of renewable energy, grow new and existing sustainable businesses and help build a new, low carbon economy across the Midlands of Ireland.
Our Legal Function currently has a need for a Commercial Counsel on a Specified Purpose Contract. This role will be based in Newbridge and will report to the General Counsel. The role will have responsibility for managing and leading the legal governance work streams on strategic company projects and transactions.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Advise the Business Units on legal issues affecting all aspects of the commercial activities of the Company and recommend appropriate courses of action including Irish and EU regulatory issues, company law and corporate governance. Play a proactive role as part of the wider Bord na Móna legal team to ensure the delivery of a best practice service to all Business Units.
- Maintain and manage external legal counsel both in Ireland and other jurisdictions, where necessary;
- Manage and lead legal and governance work streams, including the management of legal resources and budget, of key company projects.
- Work as part of the overall project team in order to ensure effective legal assistance for each particular project. Negotiate, draft and analyse a wide variety of contracts and other legal documentation entered in to by the Company. Including, where necessary, engaging and managing external legal counsel;
- Manage timely efficient approval of all major projects and key business decisions in line with the Turf Development Acts, including liaising with stakeholders, where appropriate our shareholder, in order to ensure the appropriate consent is sought/provided on each particular project;
- Work with the Business Units to promote the company’s needs and objectives in a consistent and cost effective manner and to assist the Business Units in implementing their strategies by providing support and relevant legal advice;
- Proactively participate in the Performance Management process to ensure delivery of own, and the wider team’s, objectives.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge and attributes:
- Newly Qualified Solicitor or Barrister;
- Mid/top tier firm or in-house role;
- Experience in corporate/commercial matters, litigation and employment;
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Familiarity with case management systems also desirable.
The selection process for this role will include candidate screening from application. Visit http://www.bordnamona.ie/careers/application-process-at-bord-na-mona/ for more information. If you wish to be considered simply click “Apply” on the job advert, on or before January 14th 2019.
Bord na Móna is an equal opportunities employer.