Legal Services Manager (Energy Business Unit)
Bord na Móna is looking to recruit people who are interested in helping the company progress its decarbonisation strategy and grow its low carbon businesses through the next decade and beyond. The Company employs 2,000 people, has a diverse portfolio of business operations and owns over 80,000 hectares of land across Ireland. Successful candidates will assist the company as it transitions to become a major provider of renewable energy, grow new and existing sustainable businesses and help build a new, low carbon economy across the Midlands of Ireland.
The Business Unit
Our Energy Business Unit currently has a need for a Legal Services Manager on a permanent contract. Our Energy Business Unit includes our traditional peat based businesses together with the supply of sustainable biomass to power stations and the operation of a portfolio of thermal and renewable assets, generating in excess of 1.2 terawatt hours (TWh) of electricity annually. The business is a key driver of the Group strategy to transition to a sustainable future and, with well over 60% of electricity generated currently classed as carbon neutral, it plays a pivotal role in Bord na Móna becoming a leading generator of renewable energy on the island of Ireland.
This role can be located at the Energy Business Head Office in Boora Co. Offaly or in Bord na Móna headquarters in Newbridge, Co Kildare and will report to the Engineering and Technical Services Manager. The role will proactively manage and lead the Energy legal team in supporting the Energy business in the delivery of strategic projects, business development initiatives and transactions, tendering processes as well as on-going regular operational activities such as the lean and timely provision of appropriate legal advice, assistance and support to the Business Unit Leaders in order to facilitate the achievement of their commercial goals and objectives.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Manage the legal work-stream of strategic projects in the Energy Business Unit in order to deliver the project in line with the Business Unit’s objectives. Ensure the lean provision and timely delivery of value adding legal services;
- Monitor and manage the legal stream budget for projects. Ensure liaison with all key internal and external stakeholders on legal work-streams as appropriate to ensure that projects are delivered in accordance with timelines and objectives;
- Actively support and participate in the negotiation of key commercial contracts and transactions, whilst taking a proactive role in finding solutions to overcome obstacles and in the management and mitigation of risks;
- Draft and review commercial agreements and liaise with external counsel on specialist matters where required. Assess governance requirements and obtain necessary approvals, draft appropriate documents and provide advice on general corporate governance issues;
- Advise the Energy Business Unit on legal issues affecting all aspects of their commercial activities and recommend appropriate courses of action.
- Proactively engage and communicate with the Energy Business Unit to enable and enhance the lean provision of clear legal advice;
- Work closely with Lean Centre Legal to ensure common Bord na Móna Legal policies, programmes and initiatives are implemented consistently within the Energy Business Unit. Collaborate and communicate effectively with Legal colleagues in other Business Units to share information and ensure consistency of approach on Legal related matters;
- Provide and support the acquisition of relevant knowledge and skills within the Energy Legal team to ensure delivery of relevant, efficient and cost effective legal advice to the Energy Business Unit. Create opportunities for team members to develop and acquire business critical knowledge and skills to ensure the cost-effective delivery of relevant legal advice to the Business Unit;
- Be an exemplar in demonstrating Leadership Standards and Behaviours for Success;
- All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring Health and Safety, and Welfare of co-employees and members of the public using the premises.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge and attributes:
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister;
- 6 years’ post qualification experience;
- Mid/top tier firm or in-house role; significant experience in large complex commercial contracts and large infrastructure projects;
- Experience managing and leading teams in a project focused environment and managing all legal and governance aspects of large projects/transactions;
- Career evidence of excellence in team-working, talent management, personal integrity, operational excellence and lean principles.
The selection process for this role will include candidate screening from application. Visit http://www.bordnamona.ie/careers/application-process-at-bord-na-mona/ for more information. If you wish to be considered simply click “Apply” on the job advert, on or before January 27th 2019.
Bord na Móna is an equal opportunities employer.