Legal Services Manager (Resource Recovery Business Unit)
Bord na Móna is looking to recruit people who are interested in helping the company progress its decarbonisation strategy and grow its low carbon businesses through the next decade and beyond. The Company employs 2,000 people, has a diverse portfolio of business operations and owns over 80,000 hectares of land across Ireland. Successful candidates will assist the company as it transitions to become a major provider of renewable energy, grow new and existing sustainable businesses and help build a new, low carbon economy across the Midlands of Ireland.
The Business Unit
Our Resource Recovery Business Unit currently has a need for a Legal Services Manager on a two-year fixed term contract. Resource Recovery is an integrated waste management business providing collection services, recycling, composting and residual landfill disposal of all waste streams arising from both commercial and domestic sources. The growth and development of the Business Unit is a key strategic driver in Bord na Móna’s ambition to develop as a sustainable Group into the future as we work towards our goal to become Ireland’s leading resource recovery operator.
This role will be based in Kildare and will report to the Business Development and Compliance Manager. The role will proactively support the Resource Recovery business in the delivery of strategic projects, business development initiatives and transactions as well as on-going regular operations activities such as the provision of appropriate legal advice, assistance and support to the Business Unit Leaders in order to facilitate the achievement of their commercial goals and objectives.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Manage the legal and governance work-stream of strategic projects in the Resource Recovery Business Unit in order to deliver the project in line with the Business Unit’s objectives;
- Monitor and manage the legal stream budget for projects. Ensure liaison with all key internal and external stakeholders as appropriate to ensure that projects are delivered in accordance with timelines and objectives;
- Actively participate in the negotiation of key commercial contracts and transactions. Take a proactive role in finding solutions to overcome obstacles and in the management and mitigation of risks;
- Draft and review commercial and property agreements and liaise with external counsel on specialist matters where required. Assess governance requirements and obtain necessary approvals, draft appropriate documents and provide advice on general corporate governance issues;
- Proactively work with the senior management within Resource Recovery to manage employment and other litigation matters on behalf of the Resource Recovery Business Unit;
- Proactively work with the senior management of the Business Unit to manage all compliance and regulatory matters for the Resource Recovery Business Unit including health and safety, environmental, intellectual property, procurement, planning permission and consumer protection;
- Proactively work with legal colleagues in the New Business and Property Development Business to ensure the delivery of relevant, efficient and cost effective land and property legal services for the Resource Recovery Business Unit;
- Work closely with Lean Centre Legal to ensure common Bord na Móna Legal policies, programmes and initiatives are implemented consistently within the Resource Recovery Business Unit. Collaborate and communicate effectively with Legal colleagues in other Business Units to share information and ensure consistency of approach on Legal related matters;
- Be an exemplar in demonstrating Leadership Standards and Behaviours for Success;
- All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring Health and Safety, and Welfare of co-employees and members of the public using the premises.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge and attributes:
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister;
- 6 years’ post qualification experience;
- Mid/top tier firm or in-house role; significant experience in large complex commercial contracts and large infrastructure projects;
- Experience managing and leading teams in a project focused environment and managing all legal and governance aspects of large projects/transactions;
- Career evidence of excellence in team-working, personal integrity and operational excellence.
The selection process for this role will include candidate screening from application. Visit http://www.bordnamona.ie/careers/application-process-at-bord-na-mona/ for more information. If you wish to be considered simply click “Apply” on the job advert, on or before January 27th 2019.
Bord na Móna is an equal opportunities employer.