Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Specialist
Our Renewable Energy Business Unit is currently seeking to recruit an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Specialist on a permanent basis. This role will be based in Newbridge and will report to the Planning Programme Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for to lead the delivery of Environmental Impact Assessment Reports and Appropriate Assessment for number of Bord na Móna Renewable Energy infrastructure projects;
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Lead the EIA process for large scale Renewable Energy Projects most importantly the delivery of the Environmental Impact Assessment Report and Appropriate Assessment/Natura Impact Statement for the proposed development;
- Provide environmental expertise in relation to the delivery of Renewable Energy projects to assist the Planning Team and to inform the Business Unit Strategy to ensure compliance with Planning and Environmental issues;
- Keep abreast of changes in planning/environmental legislation, policy decisions and updates to national, regional, and local authority development plans to maximise outcomes for the company. Contribute to Company submissions as required;
- Assist the Stakeholder and Advocacy team with the development of effective project plans for management of communications and consultation with local communities and other relevant stakeholders including statutory and non-statutory consultees;
- Prepare specifications for third party services for projects as required and fully assist the procurement team in the various stages of associated procurement processes;
- Ensure that all works carried out under your remit complies with Bord na Móna’s Health & Safety and Environmental policies and all relevant EU and National policies and statutory requirements. All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring the Health, Safety and Welfare of Co-employees and members of the public using the premises;
- Assist with upskilling and mentoring of junior staff, as required, with a particular focus on the EIA and Appropriate Assessment processes;
- Proactively participate in the Performance Management process to ensure delivery of own, and the wider team’s, objectives;
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge and attributes:
- Hons Degree (Lvl 8 FETAC) in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or equivalent; Post Graduate (Lvl 9 FETAC) qualification in a relevant discipline, (e.g. Environmental Science, Engineering, Planning Law) desirable but not essential; Minimum of 5 years experience in leading the preparation of EIAR and AA/NIS for large scale projects essential;
- Reporting into a Planning Programme Manager and liaising with all management levels across the Bord na Móna Group;
- Expertise in leading the delivery of EIS/EIAR and AA/NIS documentation for large scale development projects is essential;
- Experience leading and managing multidisciplinary teams on EIA projects is essential; Understanding of EIA process and Irish planning policy and legislation in relation to EIA is essential;
- Experience in Renewables and related infrastructure, or SID projects is desirable but not essential;
- Technical lead in a discipline related to EIA, e.g. ecology, noise, air quality etc is desirable but not essential;
- Experience across a range of project types with differing priorities, risk profiles and timelines is desirable but not essential;
The selection process for this role will include candidate screening from application.
Visit https://www.bordnaMóna.ie/careers/ for more information.
If you wish to be considered simply click “Apply” on the job advert.
Bord na Móna is an equal opportunities employer.