Bord na Móna is interwoven with the social and cultural life of towns and villages across Ireland
This deep connection is no doubt due to our history, back when Bord na Móna was the sole major employer in many Midland counties. In providing jobs, our company gave communities a vital economic lifeline and preserved the incalculable social and cultural capital of those areas.
While employment is always valuable, Bord na Móna has provided more than just jobs. We have always perceived our role to be active and directly involved in the communities where we operate.
This tradition is continued today by supporting education, good causes, sporting clubs, voluntary groups, music and culture, as well as many other facets of life in the places where we live and work.
In each of these individual supports, we have built countless relationships that mutually enrich our company and our communities.
We have provided and facilitated beautiful amenity areas in Lough Boora Discovery Park, Lullymore, Abbeyleix and in Mountlucas Cycle and Walkway Park. These popular destinations are richly biodiverse and peaceful amenities for everyone to enjoy.
In Bord na Móna, we place a special value on all these activities and take pride in the multitude of ways that we enrich our communities.
We do this in a range of ways including:
- Supporting communities to advance their skills and knowledge through education, bursaries and other supports.
- Supporting individuals and communities to participate and develop a strong arts culture which supports creativity and fosters innovation.
- Protecting and preserving our heritage and environment for future generations to enjoy.
- Developing community amenity lands and assets including the award winning Lough Boora Discovery Park and a multitude of tracks and trails through our rehabilitated bogs and on our windfarms.
- Charitable donations such as our Christmas 2015 support for St Vincent de Paul.
- Bord na Móna is also a member of Business in the Community Ireland (BITCI), Ireland’s only dedicated network for responsible business.