Land & Habitats
Our Land and Habitats Business Unit currently has a need for an Ecologist on a two year fixed term basis. The role will be based in Boora and will report to the Ecology Manager (Land and Habitats). The successful candidate will be responsible for providing ecology and biodiversity support and services to Land and Habitats projects, promoting best practice, cost effectiveness and continuous improvement.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
• Develop and update site-specific Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rehabilitation plans and National Parks & Wildlife Services (NPWS) packages as part of the Peatland Climate Action Scheme (PCAS). Deliver other PCAS requirements (stakeholder consultation and management, liaising with NPWS staff, data management, monitoring and verification, habitat surveys, bird surveys, other ecological surveys, GIS mapping, liaison and support of other BnM PCAS staff, Appropriate Assessment screening and Appropriate Assessment support, including liaison with third party consultants and participation in determinations).
• Support other Land & Habitats projects including current third party raised bog restoration projects. This includes liaising with 3rd party consultants, baseline survey and digitisation of cutover and raised bog habitat mapping, ecotope mapping, ecological support, reviewing reports, participating in meetings to plan raised bog restoration, and data management. Provide ecological and biodiversity support to other BnM Land and Habitats projects. Provide ecological and biodiversity support to other BnM Divisions, where needed, in support of the wider company objectives, such as the delivery of the National Climate Action Plan via the development of Renewable Energy and other company projects.
• Support other BnM peatland rehabilitation projects and assist in the delivery of the company’s Biodiversity Action Plan. Engage with internal BnM stakeholders to consult on and raise awareness of the BnM Biodiversity Action Plan. Identify new projects that will facilitate delivery of the Bord na Mona biodiversity objective.
• Deliver ecological surveys to contribute to the Bord na Mona ecology baseline dataset. Proactively support data management and the maintenance and development of various internal databases.
• Support various research projects, where needed. Support the Carbon Monitoring Team in relation to habitat and ecological support.
• Support any statutory and legal reporting obligations such as AER’s and the communication and agreement of bog rehabilitation plans with the EPA.
• Support the Ecology Manager in the delivery of cost effective and value adding ecology/biodiversity services and projects for the Land and Habitats Business Unit. Ensure that all assigned actions and projects are delivered on time, within budget, in accordance with specifications, and meeting all applicable codes of practice, legislation, regulatory and Health & Safety standards. Co-ordinate with all stakeholders during multidisciplinary projects/actions, including Operations, Health & Safety, Compliance and other disciplines to ensure that project and key performance indicators are achieved. Ensure that KPI’s are understood and any risks or opportunities are monitored and reviewed to achieve the best project / service results.
• Work as part of the BnM Ecology Team. Proactively participate in team meetings, in the preparation of weekly Team updates and status reports, time management reporting, data management, and the recording and reporting of key performance indicators. Provide regular progress reports and reviews as may be required to Land and Habitats Staff. Liaise with and support other BnM Land and Habitats Staff, where needed.
• All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring Health and Safety, and Welfare of co-employees and members of the public using the premises.
• Proactively participate in the Performance Management process to ensure delivery of own, and the wider team’s objectives.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge, and attributes:
• Level 8+ qualification in ecology or related scientific subject or equivalent.
• 5 years relevant experience.
• Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, and GIS (ArcGIS).
• Proficient in ecological surveying, habitat and species identification, specific species surveys
• Experience in digital capturing of data using GPS tablets, processing, and manipulation of survey data
• Full clean driving license is required
• Excellent communication skills
• Ecology Consultancy experience especially in the planning and/or oversight of peatland rehabilitation highly desirable.
• Membership of CIEEM would be an advantage.
• Experience in peatland species and habitats highly desirable
• Experience in Appropriate Assessment desirable
Visit https://www.bordnamona.ie/careers/ for more information.
If you wish to be considered simply click the “Apply” on the job on the hub.
Bord na Mona is an Equal Opportunities Employer